Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HDR Experience--Treatment Update

I'm at home today..just finished taking my third nap, and even ate a little today.

I have finished 25 external radiation treatments, 6 chemotherapy treatments, and one HDR (high dose radiation) treatment. Three more HDRs to go, this Friday and then next Monday and Thursday. I'm looking forward to being finished with the treatments.

Yesterday was more grueling than I thought it would be. Ken and I were at the Day Unit at 5:30 a.m., and we left the hospital around 4 or 4:30. The nurses started prepping me right away for the surgery (where they put in tubes through which they would place the radiation). After the surgery, I went to a recovery room where I was given lots of drugs to alleviate cramping. Once the tubes were in, I had a CT scan. Part of the day is where the doctor and physicists engage in a planning where exactly and how deep to plant the radiation. That took around 2 hours. (I told them to take their time--want to make sure they get it right the first time!) Finally the radiation treatment itself only takes around 10 or 15 minutes. Then back to a day unit room where we wait until it's time to remove tubes, etc. The nurse gave me some morphine just before that to help with the pain. I'm still feeling woozy from all the drugs. Maybe Friday I should try it with a little less drugs. I don't seem to shake all that off as easily as some people do.

I'm not looking forward to doing this again on Friday, but I know it's necessary. I appreciate Ken being there with me through it all and I consider how long the day was for him! I slept most of the time--and when I wasn't sleeping, I was in no shape to play Scrabble on my Kindle with Ken.

Drifting in and out of sleep and lying still all day, I was aware of God's presence with me, too. I love the way I can speak to Him and meditate on Him in my heart, without saying a single word or doing a thing. Ken read me a couple of Psalms the night before my first HDR treatment. I was a little nervous, not knowing exactly what to expect.

This passage was a comfort to me:
Psalm 5:11-12
11  But let all who take refuge in you
          be glad;
   let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over
           them,
   that those who love your
        name may rejoice in you.
12  For surely, O LORD, you bless the
        righteous;
       you surround them with your
     favor as with a shield.
(Righteous only because of Jesus' death and resurrection and God's grace!!)

1 comment:

  1. What a comfort it is to know you have someone right there by your side (God and Ken). Praying your next 3 treatments go well and for a quick recovery from them.

    ReplyDelete