Monday, March 14, 2011

At Mayo

Ken and I are so grateful for all the prayers and comfort we are receiving from family and friends. What a blessing you are! And I am so blessed to have Ken with me at every step. He has not left my side.

My Mayo appt. was early this morning. The doctor took time to talk to us about everything and convinced us that surgery is our best option right now (although the doctor in Sioux Falls said she would not recommend surgery). During the surgery, the questionable lymph node can be tested to see if it is positive or negative for cancer, and that will determine the extent of the surgery. If it's negative, it could mean no chemo or radiation. If it's positive, I will probably need some radiation treatments.

Whatever happens, it feels very good to finally be *doing* something. It's been a long month.

Ken and I read a devotion in a book of Charles Spurgeon writings today, and my verse for today is Psalm 46:1-3.
God is our refuge and strength,
  a very present help in trouble,
 therefore we will not fear,
even though the earth be removed,
   and though the mountains
      be carried into the midst of the sea;
   though its waters roar and be
          troubled,
    though the mountains shake
        with its swelling.
He goes on to say, "What could your heart desire or your mind conceive
beyond the blessedness of these assurances?" What a question!

I am so focused right now on my medical situation, but at the same time, I am keenly aware of the disaster in Japan, as we all are. These verses brought that disaster to my mind; it's difficult to imagine living through such a catastrophic event. But even through all of that, God says, He is a "very present help in trouble," not distant and unreachable, for His people. And that promise pertains to whatever the catastrophe--whether caused by some external force (like nature) or an internal force (abnormal cells in my body).

I keep thinking I should be afraid, but it's a little hard to be afraid when I have such a personal, powerful, loving Father. And it's true--what more could my heart desire or my mind conceive?

God be with all of you..see you soon!

4 comments:

  1. I'll be praying you have a successful surgery and that the surgeon knows exactly what he's doing. I'm sure he does, but I'll be asking THE Surgeon to guide his hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you this AM as you face/have your surgery....Praying for the doctors, Ken and all involved. Stay strong and know that you are being prayed for by MANY people.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are keeping you and Ken in our prayers and praying for the whole surgical team.
    A great verse in Isiah..Fear thou not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will help you, I will strengthen you, I will uphold you with my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you both, knowing that God is your strength. Love in Christ, Joergers

    ReplyDelete