Thursday, June 30, 2011

Anticipating Family Camp

Ken and I are going to go to Family (Bible) camp at Inspiration Point Camp this weekend. I think this is our eleventh year in a row, and we have always brought grandchildren along with us. Kayla (our granddaughter) was 3 the first time we attended camp. She hasn't missed a year; this year, she is 13 and coming with us again. Alex, who is 12, is coming, too. Marcus just turned 19, and I guess he has decided he's too old to come with us anymore. I'll miss him; it will be a little quiet. (Marcus always kept things lively!) I hope Ellie, Isaiah, and Sophia can join us next year. (Might need a mom along with that many, though.)

Family camp is just a few short days out of the year—a Thursday night until Sunday noon, always (for us) around the 4th of July. It goes fast. But I remember once when I was thinking about what some of my favorite days (of my life) might be, I realized some of my much loved days have been spent at Family camp. Those times really are memories I treasure and always will. So many memories...

Kayla was young..I think it was our first year at Inspiration Point (we stayed in a tent, much to the chagrin of Ken—no more tents after that). Each year the camp has what they call the Christ Hike. The Christ Hike takes place in the evening, and camp staff members dress up and act out highlights from the time of Jesus' ministry, beginning with his baptism (that takes place in the lake) and ending with his death on the cross and finally, his resurrection. Campers and others who attend (the public is invited)--perhaps around a couple of hundred of us--follow Jesus and his disciples and other members of the cast around the camp, as they act out various scenes as depicted in the Bible--the miracle of feeding thousands with a little bread and fish; Jesus saving the adulterous woman (always makes me cry), Jesus in the garden and before Pilate, etc. We even participate, as at one point, we become the crowd calling "Hosanna" and waving palm branches as Jesus approaches. And, a little later, as he stands before Pilate, we are the crowd calling, "Crucify him!"

At the end of the Christ Hike, after the resurrection, it becomes very quiet as a camp leader speaks about the precious gift of salvation Jesus gave us when he sacrificed his life for us. I remember well holding Kayla that night so long ago--the evening was so still and she was so small and lovely with her dark hair and eyes. It was during one of the quiet times, while the speaker had paused so we could think about what she was saying, that little Kayla spoke out so clearly that nearly everyone heard, "Wasn't that nice of him?"

She was speaking of what Jesus did--and she was only three years old.
"From the lips of children and infants, you, Lord,
have called forth your praise." (Matthew 21:13)
 Feeling very blessed...

1 comment:

  1. Kayla is a great girl, and has great possibilities, as well as all your kida and grandkids! I hope they will always draw close to Jesus, and that He would draw close to them. One of my prayers for everyone is that Jesus would guide us, lead us, and stay beside us. When we feel convicted of our sins, and are accused by the devil about how aweful we are, I pray that we would run to Jesus, instead of run away! 1 John 1:9, (which is a backwards 9-1-1 verse!) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. One way of drawing close to God, is my other 9-1-1 verse, Psalm 119:11 says, "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee." Also, Ephesians 6, mentions the "unseen" powers that war against us as Christians. We need to take up the full "Armor of God". Righteousness, Faith, Truth, Peace, the Word of God, Salvation, and to pray on all occasions, with all requests. Our mortal life is a battle, but it's already been won.

    Thanks for sharing your camp experiences. Sounded so fun. Now you'll have to bring everyone, and stay in the St. Joe National Forest, at Middle Sister's lookout.

    Love you!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete